Week of February 21st – 25th Summary
Important Upcoming Dates:
• On Saturday, February 26th there will be a Kitchen Garden work party from 10 am to 12 pm. Please come help the Environmental Committee prepare the garden space for the Spring planting!
• Monday, February 28th through Friday, March 4th is Montessori Education Week promoted by the South Carolina Montessori Alliance. SPMA will participate with community service projects and observing a moment of silence to honor those who have promoted world peace through the Montessori education method.
• On Tuesday, March 1st pre-ordered Heritage Organic Farm produce boxes will be available for pick up on the front porch from 12 to 6 pm. If you’d like to be a part of the next delivery on March 15th, please sign up here.
• St. Patrick’s Day parade float decorating parties will be held on Thursday, March 3rd and Friday, March 4th at 8:30-9:30 am and 1-3 pm (both days, both times) in the parking lot for parent volunteers. The parade in scheduled for Sunday, March 13th at 3 pm.
• Winter Break starts Monday, March 7th and continues through Friday, March 11th. Classes resume for all students on Monday, March 14th.
• On Friday, March 11th (during Winter Break), Suzuki piano teacher Katherine DeFreitas invites all students and parents to campus for a Hilton Head Symphony Orchestra piano recital at 10 am. Please RSVP to Katherine.
• On Saturday, March 12th SPMA will be participating in the Youth Arts Festival at the Art Center of Coastal Carolina. SPMA students perform at 3:15 pm. Your support would be appreciated!
• Re-enrollment forms for the 2011-12 school year are due in the front office with a $500 family deposit no later than the end of the day Friday, April 1st. If you have not received your form in the postal mail, please click here for an online form. Enrollment for new applicants will begin April 2nd.
• More calendar events here.
Board of Trustees Note:
• The Development Committee invites you to Dine Out & Raise Funds for SPMA!
• The Spring Concert date has been changed from April 1st to April 29th at 6 pm.
• Your child’s Gullah artwork is now on Artsonia.com! When visiting the site, search for “Sea Pines Montessori Academy” in the “Find School” box. Parents should receive an email from Artsonia.com to activate the account associated with your child’s artwork. Students artwork is arranged by the highest grade in their classroom (eg: 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade will be filed under 3rd grade.) Fun product with your child’s artwork can be ordered through Artsonia.com and SPMA will receive 15% of your purchase. Please email Carla Golden with questions.
• We have a long list of Lost and Found items belonging to children and adults. Please check this list to see if any items are yours. Items not claimed will be donated to charity.
• Get your new SPMA logo car sticker from Head of School, Darcie Patrick!
• Bess is now offering a hot lunch for our students – grilled cheese sandwiches! Order forms for Bess’ lunch are due each Friday by 10 am for the following week. Lunches can be ordered for 1 to 5 days per week. Call Bess at 785-2377 with questions and for full menu options.
• Every Friday is Spirit Day! Go to ShopSPMA to click into Land’s End school uniform shop.
Q: Why are there live animals in each SPMA classroom? Is this common?
A: Children love and enjoy animals! Students of all ages can benefit from being exposed to other life forms. Live animals in the classroom help students learn to nurture and respect life. Classroom pets are also one feasible way to bring the outside environment into the classroom.
Another reason for keeping and maintaining animals in the classroom is building empathy within students. Empathy gives students the ability to feel what others feel whether it an animal or a fellow student. Building empathy will enhance the desire to be a responsible pet owner and treat animals with respect, understand their needs and meet those needs. There are also therapeutic calming benefits to the co-existence of children and classroom pets.
Some of the animals found on the SPMA campus are rabbit, guinea pig, hermit crab, hamster, mudpuppy, and snake. Please come visit our well-loved and well-cared for “zoo!” Classroom animals is one of the many delightful features common only in private school Montessori classrooms such as SPMA.
SPMA Booster Club Notes:
• The St. Patrick’s Day parade is right around the corner on Sunday, March 13th at 3 pm! We need volunteers to help decorate the float before Winter Break in the parking lot on Thursday, March 3rd and Friday, March 4th at 8:30-9:30 am and 1-3 pm (both days, both times). Please come when you can. All help is appreciated!!
• The Heritage golf tournament is just 7 weeks away! Please keep an eye out for sign-up forms to come home with children next week. There will also be a shift sign-up board in the lobby. The Heritage golf tournament will be April 18th – 24th this year.
• Planning has begin for the inaugural SPMA Fishing Tournament to benefit the 2011-12 Scholarship Fund. Anyone interested in helping, please email the Booster Club. There will be a meeting in the next couple of weeks to get things rolling.
• There are a handful of Gullah Stories $36 and Da Calendar $20 left for sale. Please visit the front office to purchase your copies!